We have Miss Lemon Drop back in the garage for a fuel pump replacement. You may remember that she pooped out on the way home and Heidi and I got her running again. The owner (Jerry) purchased a new pump “kit” with the pump, rod, spacer and gaskets. I go through the installation of the pump, and also a check of the fuel pressure. That was the big surprise! At 5psi, it was twice what the carburetor specs. VW says to add a gasket or two to raise the pump and thereby limit the rod throw to lower the pressure. The problem with these aftermarket pumps is that if you go the route, you will have to grind the rod so much to get the pressure down, the flow will be too low to support the needs of the engine at running RPMs. The only real solution is to install a pressure regulator to meet the requirements of the float bowl needle and seat in the carburetor while still maintain adequate flow.
Tools and parts:
• EMPI 9092 fuel pressure regulator with bracket and 2 5/16″ fittings: https://goo.gl/1egzmp
• HFS (Tm) Carburetor Carb Valve Fuel Pump Pressure & Vacuum Tester Gauge Test Kit: https://goo.gl/wZZmZy
• Air cooled VW bug beetle fuel pump kit with flange & rod, generator style: https://goo.gl/7qDcnC
• 1/2 In Drive Digital Torque Adapter by USATNM: https://goo.gl/vEZ4mc
• Permatex 80016 Form-A-Gasket #2. 3 oz.: https://goo.gl/t5bH4z
• LDR 516 F146 ¼ Inch ID Fuel Line for Small Engines 6-Foot Length: https://goo.gl/i2WEyt
• Jmf Hose Barb 90 Deg. 3/8 ” Hose Barb X 1/8 ” Mpt Yellow Brass 150 Psi Lead Free: https://goo.gl/FoSj4k
• Koehler Enterprises KE4SS Hose Clamp Blister Pack, 4 Piece (Micro Size 4): https://goo.gl/chZpPw
• The Extinguisher we have in every car: Amerex A384T, 1.4lb Halotron I Class B C Fire Extinguisher: https://goo.gl/1dkRVJ
• 13mm Socket
• ¼” Universal Joint
• ¼” socket or nut driver for hose clamps
We hope you enjoyed the video. If you did, please give it a “Thumbs up” and Subscribe to Heidi and Franny’s Garage for more videos to come. Also, click the little “Bell” by the Subscribe button to get notified when we release new videos.
We do lots of types of videos on this channel: Vlogs, How To/Hacks/DYI, Travel, Events, etc. Check out some of the other videos we have on our channel.
Thanks so much for watching!
The Cameras and Equipment we use:
Panasonic Lumix G85 (https://goo.gl/geSFpN)
Main Shooter Lens: (https://goo.gl/RsHkkF)
Sony FDR-X3000 (https://goo.gl/P6XdYZ)
GoPro Hero 5 black (https://goo.gl/kjjr31)
Fat Gecko Camera and Camcorder Mount (https://goo.gl/zqCHvT)
Fat Gecko Camera Mount (https://goo.gl/AXQAr6)
Fat Gecko Mount (https://goo.gl/RhyXYT)
DJI Mavic Pro and Kit (https://goo.gl/jQbk9V)
Stabilizer for mobile phones and action cams:
DJI Phone Camera Gimbal OSMO MOBILE, Black (https://goo.gl/Acr1jg)
Music in bumper provided by:
BACK IN SUMMER by Nicolai Heidlas Music https://soundcloud.com/nicolai-heidlas
Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported— CC BY 3.0
Music provided by Audio Library https://youtu.be/sGsC98vR4Q4
Thanks for the awesome music!!
Heidi and Franny’s Garage.
Due to factors beyond the control of “Heidi and Franny’s Garage”, We cannot guarantee against improper use or unauthorized modifications of this information. “Heidi and Franny’s Garage” assumes no liability for property damage or injury incurred as a result of any of the information contained in this video. Use this information at your own risk. “Heidi and Franny’s Garage”recommends safe practices when working on vehicles and or with tools seen or implied in this video. Due to factors beyond the control of “Heidi and Franny’s Garage”, no information contained in this video shall create any expressed or implied warranty or guarantee of any particular result. Any injury, damage, or loss that may result from improper use of these tools, equipment, or from the information contained in this video is the sole responsibility of the user and not “Heidi and Franny’s Garage”.
Hat’s worn by Heidi and Franny provided by: www.Fabkittenhats.com
Heidi and Franny’s Garage
P.O. Box 740487
Arvada, CO 80006